Saturday, September 7, 2013

Aliens and Inspirations

Alien (1979).

At the time, I didn't know I was being inspired. I had no idea how the blend of science fiction and horror was taking such deep root in my psyche and how this hybridization was going to influence so much of my future work.

I was a Star Trek fan, sure. That view of the future, even when they were at war, was so clean and smooth. It was more like watching a cartoon, though I didn't realize it at the time. The gritty, detailed, realism was absent - budgets are very real, I know - and the real strength of Star Trek for men wasn't the visuals, Although those were cool for their time. Star Trek told the stories.

The shows that were influencing me visually - again, I didn't realize it at the time were Space: 1999, Silent Running, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Star Wars. They snatched away that sleek warp speed, glittery transporter beam, spic-and-span phaser disintegration vision of the future. I was seeing glass domes, structural supports, and rocket nozzles. Hell there was pipework! Okay, maybe I'm overreacting to the plumbing a bit, but it was the realism I guess I was seeking.

And then there was Alien. The stills released by the movie peeps were intriguing. Very detailed. Some organic. Some with that technological realism I craved. My mom wasn't about to let a kid go see the movie but she did allow me to by the graphic novel with my own money apparently not realizing that comics at the time were evolving.

So, my childhood scarred, my subconscious scorched, my creative life inspired, I find myself here. When you read my work if you don't see the grit, the grime and an occasional leaking utility line, its probably because I'm having an off day.




----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Beginning with Chapter Five, new installments of Zulu Time at JukePop Serials will be posted on the 10th, 20th and 30th of each month.

The summer shootout at Martinus Publishing continues to be a great ride. With one more writing week for all the writers, this prompt may be the most challenging yet. Once this weeks tales are scored, a finalist from each of the three teams will move on to the final round.

No comments:

Post a Comment